1 мар. 2015 г.

Language tip of the week: understand | Macmillan

Understanding something is like seeing it. If it is easy to understand, it is easy to see:

I see what you mean.
I saw through him at once: I knew he was lying.
They recognized the fact that they needed to improve.
She has great insight and will know what to do.
I could not foresee what would happen.
He’s very clear-sighted.
There was a change in the public perception of education.
The answer is very obvious.
I’m unclear about what they did next.
She had a clear understanding of what was involved.
Their motives are transparent.
How did you know? You must have read my mind.
I can read him like a book.
They turned a blind eye to what was happening there.

Understanding something is also like holding or touching it:

She has a good grasp of Japanese.
I need to get to grips with the subject.
I’m still grappling with the basics.
I couldn’t put my finger on it, but there was definitely something wrong.
You’ve certainly got your finger on the pulse.
Such abstract concepts can be very slippery.
It’s quite a difficult idea to get hold of.


Language tip of the week: understand | Macmillan
Share this post