1 мар. 2015 г.

Life skills tip of the week: ways of praising someone | Macmillan

Well done: the most common way of praising someone when they have done something well:
I passed all my exams!’ ‘Well done! Let’s go out and celebrate.’


Congratulations: used for praising someone who has achieved something important, such as passing a major exam:
I’ve passed my driving test.‘ ‘Congratulations!’


Good for you: an informal way of telling someone that you approve of what they have done:
‘I told him I would only do it if he paid me more.’ ‘Good for you. He needed to be told.’


Way to go/Good job: a more informal way of telling someone that they have done something well:
Way to go, Mary! Keep up the good work.
‘We should finish just ahead of schedule.’ ‘Good job, Karl! That’s fantastic news!’


Good thinking/That’s an idea/You’re a genius: used for praising someone when you think that their idea or suggestion is good:
Hannah, you’re a genius! I never would have thought of that myself.
Good thinking! That’s a much better way of doing it.


Someone is to be congratulated: a formal way of saying that someone has done well:
Your secretary is to be congratulated for his prompt actions.


Let’s hear it for…/Hats off to…: used for saying that you think someone deserves a lot of praise:
Let’s hear it for everyone who took part in the campaign.
Hats off to Derrick and his team! They finished the project in record time.

Life skills tip of the week: ways of praising someone | Macmillan

Share this post